Generating Files with No Data #
|Problem ID||Manufacturer||Affected Firmware||Affected hardware||Status|
|WA002||Wildlife Acoustics||Unknown||SM4, SM3||Major problem|
At some point during a deployment, the SM4s start generating small files, each
about 128KB, each filled with
Probable cause: SD card full.
We now believe the cause is low power from the main batteries.
Update: For one deployment of 8 sensors we saw this problem a lot.
TL;DR: there are two weeks of good data, and the third week is a write-off.
- All the corrupt files happen towards the end of the deployment
- There are 5121 corrupt files and 1608 valid files
- The corrupt files did not take up too much space (only 380MB across all of the sensors)
- Data collection is good for all sensors from Monday 12th November through to Monday 26th of November
- The first sensor fails on the 26th
- The last sensor fails on the 2nd of December
- The last valid recording is 12:00 on the
- Naively I would guess the sensors are running out of storage space
- However, after failures start occurring some successful files still get recorded
- The sensor tries to repeatedly record again when a file fails to record
- If these sensors were running off solar power this behaviour would make sense.
Status with vendor #
Not yet contacted WA
Effects of the problem on common tools #
Acoustics Workbench (Ecosounds, A2O): #
- FFMPEG reports the file has having invalid data. “Invalid data found when processing input” so data can’t be harvested
Filter out small files (less than 500KB) when analysing data.